Zest and juice from 1 lemon
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons finely-grated fresh ginger
7 cups homemade or canned low-salt chicken stock
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1/4-inch slices
4 cloves of garlic, thinly-sliced, lengthwise
2 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce or to taste
1 jalapeno chili pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into circles
9 ounces fresh Chinese egg noodles
1/2 large red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1-1/2 inch long thin strips
4 scallions (green onions), sliced on an angle
Red pepper flakes
- In a small bowl, mix together the lemon zest, cilantro, and ginger; set aside. Juice the lemon and set aside.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, bring the chicken stock just to a boil; add lemon juice, chicken, garlic, fish sauce and jalapeño chili pepper.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until chicken is almost cooked. You can cook the chicken stock early in the day, then place the cooled pot in the refrigerator, and continue with the recipe prior to serving.
- When ready to finish the soup, return pot of soup to stove and heat broth until very hot.
- Add Chinese noodles and cook approximately 3 minutes. Add red bell pepper and scallions; heat for approximately an additional 1 minute.
- Taste the soup and add more fish sauce and/or ginger, as needed.
Thai Chicken SoupServe the soup in bowls, sprinkle with the reserved lemon zest mixture, garnish with cilantro, stir, and serve. I like to serve with some red pepper flakes.