- 2½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ cup raw (turbinado) sugar, plus more for dusting
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups buttermilk (make your own by adding 1 tablespoon and two teaspoons of lemon juice or vinegar to milk. Let sit for 5 minutes.)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- Zest of 2 large lemons, or 3 small
- 4 nectarines, thinly sliced, then cut each slice in half
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees with a rack in the top third of the oven. Line your muffin tin with cupcake wrappers.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt).
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, melted butter and lemon zest.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry mixture and stir just until it’s mostly combined.
- Stir in your sliced nectarines, saving about 18 slices to place on top of the cupcakes before baking.
- Spoon your cupcakes into the prepared muffin tin. Top each one with a slice of nectarine and a light sprinkle of raw sugar.
- Bake for 16 to 20 minutes, just until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Yields approximately 18 cupcakes.