- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 sweet yellow (Vidalia) onion, peeled, spiralized with blade A, noodles trimmed
- 2 red bell peppers, spiralized with blade A, noodles trimmed
- 1 medium zucchini, spiralized with blade D, noodles trimmed
- 1 medium yellow squash, spiralized with blade A, noodles trimmed
- 1 cup packed julienned eggplant (from 1 small eggplant; you’ll have leftovers)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, with their juices
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ cup packed fresh basil, finely chopped
- In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, warm the oil until shimmering. Add the garlic, red pepper flakes and onion. Cook, stirring often, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper, zucchini, squash noodles and eggplant. Season with salt and pepper and cook until the vegetables are softened, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Crush the tomatoes individually by hand over the pot (beware of red splashes!), adding each one to the pot, as well as all of the juices remaining in the can. Stir in the bay leaf and oregano. Increase the high and bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 7 to 15 minutes (take care not to overcook them, or they’ll be mushy).
- Stir in the basil and cook for 1 more minute. Remove the bay leaf before serving.