1 cup sooji
1¼ cups sugar
1 cup oil
1 cup water (more for soaking sooji)
¼ tsp (heaped) green cardamom powder
Raisins & slivered almonds for garnishing (or any nuts of your choice)
- Measure the sooji in a bowl and completely cover with water (about 2- 2½ cups of water). Soak for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil and sugar in a pan over medium low heat until the sugar has melted and completely dissolved.
- Just as the sugar mixture starts to change to a pale golden color (watch the sugar carefully as it can burn very quickly), add the sooji without draining the water. Add the 1 cup of water. Be careful as the mixture will be very hot and will splatter when water is added. Stir constantly
- The sugar will solidify when you add the sooji.
- The halwa will be bubbling as all the water evaporates. Add the green cardamom.
- Stir fry on medium heat until all the water evaporates from the mixture and the halwa emits a ‘roasted’ smell, around 8 minutes. Remove from heat immediately. Be careful not to overcook it.