Mong lentil/ mung beans – 1 cup
Chicken (boneless) or beef – 1 cup
Chicken or beef stock – 1 cup
Onion – 1 small
Tomato – 1 medium
Garlic – 1 tsp minced
Salt – to taste
Red chilli powder – 1 tbsp or to taste
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Black pepper – 1 tsp
Rice – 2 cups
Oil – 1/2 cup
Spinach – 1 cup finely chopped
- Soak lentil for 2 hours.
- In a pan fry onion till light golden then add minced garlic and stir for few seconds.
- Add chopped tomato and fry.
- Now add chicken or beef and stir. Add salt, pepper, red chillies, and turmeric and cumin seeds. Fry them.Add Chicken stock, water, spinach and soaked and washed rice, cover the lid and cook till tender and thick.
- I pressure cook them for 10 minutes, you can cook in a pot and then check the consistency you required. If you want to eat as a khichri then dry water, if like Haleem then you can add stock to obtain Haleem consistency.
- Prepare tempering/ bhagar now (if making for a dieter then skip bhagar)
- In 1/4 cup oil add 3 red chillies, 1/4 tsp cumin seeds, 1 -2 green chillies and let them crackle then pour on shola.
- You can fry onion for bhagar also.