1 Cup Channa Dal or Yellow split peas about 571 gm
3/4 teaspoon salt
50 gm minced lean beef
50 gm minced lean mutton (lamb)
10/20 to 30/40 teaspoon hot spices
10/20 to 30/40 teaspoon Madras curry
1-2 hot green chili
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
Pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup minced onion
One egg slightly beaten
1/4 cup chopped green coriander
Oil for frying
(makes about 15 pieces)
- Boil Channa Dal or Yellow split peas covered in drinking water, and once it is cooked, add 3/4 teaspoon salt and boil for another 5 minutes, then drain and use stock for preparing soups. Leave to cool to room temperature.
- In a small mortar beat garlic, ginger, green pepper and lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- Mix all ingredients (except oil) in a mixing bowl until blended and then grind in a meat grinder until blended smoothly.
- Form the dough into small circle patties, each to a diameter of 5 cm and thickness of 1 cm and flatten circles and arrange in lightly greased tray.
- Heat oil in a shallow pan and fry on both sides until kebabs are golden brown and sprinkle oil on the top surface of the patties during frying while pressing on them with the back of the spoon.
- Strain the kabab to get rid of excess oil.
- Serve kebabs with green chili and lemon.