8 cups Whole Milk (divided)
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
5 cups Water (in a pressure cooker)
1 cup Sugar
1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder
2 Tbsp Pistachios & Almonds (roughly chopped)
Sugar for the Ras – to taste
- Boil 4 cups milk in a steel pan and boil the remaining 4 cups milk in a non-stick pan (The milk in the non-stick pan needs to be reduced to half the quantity so once it comes to a boil, keep the flame low and keep cooking while stirring occasionally. Grind saffron with a small amount of sugar and add it to the milk while boiling).
- Once the milk in the steel pan comes to a rolling boil, slowly add lemon juice.
- When the milk curdles (Paneer/ Cheese), switch off the stove and strain the Paneer in a cheese cloth.
- Pour a little cold water over the Paneer and hang the cheese cloth on the tap for approx 30 minutes to remove all of the liquid.
- Remove the Paneer from the cheese cloth and run it through a food processor to smooth it out. You can knead the Paneer by hand but it will take a long time to make it smooth.
- Divide the Paneer into 12 equal portions a little smaller than the size of a ping pong ball.
- Roll the portions in your hands until a smooth ball is formed. Lightly press the ball until it flattens out.
- In the pressure cooker with water, dissolve 1 cup sugar and add the flattened Paneer.
- Close pressure cooker lid and cook until one whistle sounds. Immediately switch off the stove and set the timer for exactly 5 minutes.( You can cook the flattened Paneer in regular pan also)
- After 5 minutes, carefully take the pressure cooker to the sink and pour cold water over the lid to remove the pressure.
- Remove the cooked Paneer with a slotted spoon into a bowl and allow it to cool.
- Meanwhile, the milk in the non-stick pan should have reduced to half. Add sugar to taste, cardamom powder and nuts. Switch off the stove and keep milk aside.
- Once the Paneer is cool enough to handle with your hands, gently squeeze out the sugar syrup from the Paneer and place the Paneer into a serving dish.
- Pour the prepared reduced milk over the Paneer and chill in the refrigerator.
- Serve it chilled and Garnish with additional chopped nuts.