For Mutton Rice:
I kg mutton, cut into large cubes
1/2 kg rice, soak in water for at least 2 hours
1/2 kg onions, finely sliced
1/2 kg potatoes, cut into halves or quarters
1/2 kg curd
1/4 kg tomatoes, chopped into small pieces or pureed
1 1/2 inch piece of ginger
8-10 cloves garlic
6-8 large green chillies
1/2 cup blanched almonds , finely – optional
1/2 tsp saffron, roast and soak in a tsp of lemon juice
1 lb ghee or oil
1/2 pkt Shan Biryani masala
1 bunch coriander leaves , finely chopped
Salt to taste
- Wash the meat and apply the ginger garlic paste and tomatoes.
- Fry the onions light brown and add the Shan masala, frying for 2 minutes.
- Add meat, potatoes, green chillies, corlander, curd and mix well.
- Add half the quantity of saffron and allow the marinated meat to rest for 2 hours or overnight.
- Cook the meat on a slow fire till tender then add the sliced almonds.
- Boil the rice with salt, till parboiled.
- Drain off the water.
- Divide the meat into 2 portions.
- Use an ovenproof dish, not too deep.
- Spread half the meat, then half the rice and add 2 spoons of oil.
- Repeat the same again.
- Sprinkle the balance of the saffron and little more oil.
- Cover and put in a moderate oven, till rice is done.
- Gosht Pulao is ready to serve.