Apply fresh lemon juice: Lemon juice has skin bleaching properties, which can help to effectively lighten your acne scars. Combine equal parts lemon juice and water and apply this liquid directly onto your scars, avoiding the surrounding skin. Wash off the lemon juice after 15 to 25 minutes.
- Remember to moisturize immediately after washing off the juice, as the citric acid in the lemon can be very drying on the skin.
- This method needs to be used carefully. If left on too long, or not diluted this can lead to significant chemical burns. Avoid going into the sun, and wear sunscreen.
Consider exfoliating with baking soda: Baking soda can be used to exfoliate the skin and minimize the appearance of acne scars. Mix one teaspoon of baking soda with two teaspoons of water to form a liquid paste. Apply this paste all over your face and use gentle circular motions to rub the baking soda into the skin. Rinse off with warm water and pat the skin dry. Try this method with care, and stop using it if it’s not effective for you.
Use honey: Honey is a great natural solution for clearing up pimples and reducing the red marks they leave behind, it also helps to soothe the skin and reduce inflammation. Raw or manuka honey is most effective. It can be dabbed directly onto the scarred area.
You can also mix a pinch of pearl powder with the honey for an extra-effective treatment. Pearl powder is supposed to reduce inflammation and fade acne scars.
Experiment with Aloe Vera: The sap of the Aloe Vera plant is a soothing natural substance which can be used for the treatment of many problems, from burns to wounds to acne scars. Aloe Vera helps to rejuvenate and moisturize the skin, encouraging acne scars to fade.
- For a more intense scar treatment, you can mix a drop or two of tea tree oil (which promotes clear skin) into the Aloe Vera gel before applying.
Use an ice cube: Ice cube is a simple home remedy which helps to fade acne scars by soothing the inflamed skin and reducing redness. Just wrap an ice cube in a clean cloth or piece of paper towel and hold it against the scarred skin for two minutes, till the area starts to feel numb.
- You can freeze some strong green tea in an ice cube tray and use the resulting ice cubes on the acne scars. Green tea has anti-inflammatory properties which complement the cooling effects of the ice.
Make sandalwood paste: Sandalwood is known for its healing properties. Just mix one tablespoon of sandalwood powder with a few drops of rosewater or milk to form a paste. Apply this paste to the affected area and leave it on for at least 30 minutes before rinsing.
- You can also mix sandalwood powder with a little honey and use this as a spot treatment on individual scars.
Try apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar helps manage the pH of your skin, improving its appearance over time and helping to reduce the appearance of red marks and scars. Dilute the vinegar to half its strength with water and apply it to the affected area every day until the scars begin to fade.