Basmati Rice – 3 cups
Beef – 1 kg, Cubed
Onions – 2 pcs, large (finely chopped)
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Cloves – 1 tsp
Black pepper – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Carrots – 2 medium, grated
Raisins – 1/2 cup
Oil – 1/3 cup
- Heat oil in a pot. Fry chopped onions until light brown.
- Now add meat and fry till brown.
- Add water, salt and pepper, cloves and simmer till tender.
- Remove the meat. Cook until 1 cup of stock remains.
- In a seperate pan cook the grated carrots in oil until brown.
- Add raisins and fry till plump. Drain and set aside.
- Parboil the rice (boil until al dente – do not completely cook the rice!!) and drain the rice.
- Place the rice into a large pan.
- Sprinkle zeera (cumin seeds). Pour the meat stock over it and stir.
- Layer the meat and half of the carrot raisin mixture over rice.
- Cover the pan tightly and place it in a hot over for 40 mins.
- Sprinkle the rest of carrot raisin mixture on top and serve.