- 2 slices bread, either soft sandwich squares or large peasant-style slices, not more than 1/2 inch thick
- 1 to 2 ounces grated cheddar (or other cheese), depending on size of bread
- Heat a heavy pan over medium-low heat.
- Thinly spread one side of each bread slice with butter. Spread the other side of each slice with mayonnaise and place the bread, mayonnaise-side-down, in the pan. Divide the cheese evenly on top of the buttered slices. Adjust the heat so the bread sizzles gently.
- When the cheese is about halfway melted, use a spatula to flip one slice over on top of the other, and press lightly to melt. Keep turning the sandwich, pressing gently, until the sandwich is compact, both sides are crusty, and the cheese is melted.