Lemon glaze and crystallized ginger add flavor sparks to moist gingerbread.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mild-flavored molasses
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Lemon juice
- Crystallized ginger strips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Grease a 10-inch fluted tube pan; set aside.
- Stir together flour, cinnamon, ground ginger, baking powder, and baking soda in a large mixing bowl; set aside.
- Place shortening in another large mixing bowl; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar; beat until fluffy. Add eggs and molasses; beat for 1 minute. Add flour mixture and water alternately to egg mixture, beating on low speed after each addition until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 30 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Remove from pan and cool completely.
- Combine powdered sugar, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice in a mixing bowl. Add additional lemon juice, if necessary, for drizzling consistency. Drizzle over cake. If desired, garnish with crystallized ginger strips. Makes 12 to 16 servings.