1/2 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1/2 tbsp dried basil (or 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped)
1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp grated zest plus 1 tablespoon juice from one lemon
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
3 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts about 1 1/2 pounds
6 6-inch sub rolls slit partially open lengthwise
- Combine oil, garlic, basil, oregano, lemon zest, salt, pepper, cumin, and pepper flakes in a large bowl.
- Transfer 2 tablespoons oil mixture to separate bowl and whisk in mayonnaise, vinegar, and lemon juice; refrigerate.
- Sauce can be refrigerated, covered for 2 days.
- Prick chicken breasts all over with fork, cut into 1 1/4 inch chunks, and transfer to bowl with remaining oil mixture.
- Refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes or up to 3 hours.
- Remove chicken from marinade and thread onto skewers, about 5 pieces per skewer.
- You can use either metal or wood skewers.
- Grill chicken until browned and cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes, turning once or twice.
- You can use an outdoor grill (either gas or charcoal), or useyour oven broiler or an indoor grill pan to do the job ( you can also fry the chicken.
- Transfer the chicken to sub rolls or bread, remove skewers, and drizzle with mayonnaise mixture.