1 cup butter, divided
1 onion, minced
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
3 cups heavy cream
2 tsp salt
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp garam masala
1 ½ pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized chunks
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp tandoori masala
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Melt a few tbsp of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic, and cook slowly until the onion turns brown.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat along with the tomato sauce, heavy cream, and salt, cayenne pepper, and garam masala. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low; cover, and simmer for 30 min., stirring occasionally. Then stir in brown onions.
- While the sauce is simmering, toss cubed chicken breast with vegetable oil until coated, then season with tandoori masala and spread out onto a baking sheet.
- Bake chicken in preheated oven until no longer pink in the center for approx. 12 min. Once done, add the chicken to the sauce and simmer for 5 min. before serving. Serve with hot naan or pita bread!
- For a twist and nice accompaniment, serve Indian butter chicken with any orasted garam masala (Indian Spice Mix) sprinkled vegetable and mint raita.