Bhindi – 1/4 kg (okra/bendakaya), wash, dry, trim the ends and cut into 1″ pieces
Onions – 1, large, finely sliced
Tomato – 1, finely chopped
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Ginger green chili paste – 1 tsp
Sugar – 1/4 – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 3/4 tsp
Garam Masala powder – pinch
Kasuri methi – 1/2 tsp
Lemon juice – 1/2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Cooking oil – 2 tbsps
Coriander leaves – for garnish (optional)
- Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a cooking vessel, add the bhindi and sauté on low to medium flame for 12-15 mts. Remove from the vessel and keep aside.
- In the same vessel, add the remaining oil. Once hot, asafoetida, sliced onions and saute for 4 mts. Add the ginger green chili paste and saute for 3 mts.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and kasuri methi and mix.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute for 6-7 mts on low to medium flame with lid.
- Add the okra and sugar and mix well. Cook without lid for 15 mts. Add salt to taste, garam masala powder and lemon juice and mix. Turn off heat.
- Remove onto a serving bowl and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve warm with rice or rotis.