1 pound cavatappi pasta
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups 2% milk
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 cups shredded cheddar
1 pkg (16 oz) pulled chicken or pork
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add cavatappi and return to a boil. Cook 6 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan. Whisk in flour. While whisking, add milk in a thin stream. Whisk in paprika, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer; cook 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in 2 cups of the cheddar. Fold cheese sauce into pasta.
- Place half the macaroni and cheese in a baking dish. Microwave pulled chicken per package directions, about 6 minutes.
- Spoon over pasta in dish and top with remaining mac and cheese and 1 cup cheddar.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, until melted and bubbly.