Tender Brinjal – 1lb(Baingan)
Curd – 1.5 cup (or as needed)
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Pepper powder – ½ tsp
Roasted cumin powder – ½ tsp
Sugar – 1/4 tsp
Salt – as per taste
Coriander leaves (Dhaniya leaves) – for garnishing
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard – ½ tsp
Dry Red chillies – 1 or 2
Curry leaves – few
Oil – 2 tsp
- Choose tender brinjal of any variety. Wash it and cut it into thin round, semi circle or oval shaped pieces.
- If you do not like the slight bitterness in brinjals just soak it in water for about 5 minutes.
- Add salt and turmeric powder and coat all the brinjal slices nicely.
- Let it marinate for about 5 minutes.
- Heat a flat griddle or pan. Drizzle some oil and shallow fry the brinjal pieces.
- Fry the brinjal till it is roasted on all sides.
- In the meantime, whisk the curd with required salt, cumin powder, pepper powder and a pinch of sugar.
- Add the roasted brinjal pieces to the beaten curd.
- Heat oil in a small pan and do the seasoning with mustard seeds, dry red chillies, asafoetida and curry leaves. Add this to the curd. This step is optional but it adds a nice flavour to the dish.
- Finally garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve with pulao, variety rice or roti.