2 Baingan(Egg Plants) – big round ones
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp Zeera (cumin seeds)
1 1/2 cup onions-thinly sliced
1 tbsp green chillies-slit lengthwise
1 tsp red chili powder
1 cup tomatoes-finely chopped
1 cup tomatoes-freshly pureed
1 tsp Garam Masala
Dhaniya (Coriander/cilantro) leaves to garnish
- Roast the eggplants directly over a flame or on a grill till the skin becomes light brown (approx. for 5 minutes). This gives it a smoky flavor.
- Prick in a few places all around and cook covered at HI for 10 minutes.
- Wait until it is cool enough to handle and peel off the skin, mash the flesh and keep aside.
- Use a wok to heat oil adds zeera (cumin seeds) till they sparkle.
- Sauté half the onions and cook covered till brown, turning once.
- Add the green chillies and the remaining onions.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes, till excess liquid dries up and the onions get tender.
- Mix in the chili powder, salt, tomatoes and pureed tomatoes.
- Cook covered for 15 minutes, till the extra moisture dries up.
- Add the roasted and mashed egg plants, mix well and cook covered for 5 minutes.
- Mix in the Garam Masala and cook covered for 2 minutes and serve garnished with dhaniya (coriander leaves).