Almonds – ½ cup
Boiling water – about 1 cup
Milk – ½ cup
Ghee – 2 tablespoons
Sugar – ½ cup
Saffron – few strands
Cardamom powder – ⅛ teaspoon
- Take almonds in a bowl. Pour about a cup of hot boiling water. And let it soak the almonds for at least 5 minutes.
- Drain all the water and rinse it with cold water. Start peeling the almonds.
- As we blanched the almonds it will be very easy to peel the skin off. It took me only 5 minutes.
- Now take peeled almonds and milk in a blender.
- And grind it into a smooth puree. You can keep it little chunky if you like.
- Heat the ghee (clarified butter) in a pan on medium heat.
- Once ghee is hot, add pureed almonds. And cook it with stirring continuously.
- Keep cooking till all the milk or moisture gets evaporated and it starts to leave the sides of the pan. It took me about 10 minutes
- Add saffron strands and mix it well.
- Add sugar and mix.
- Sugar will start to melt and halwa will become runny again.
- Keep stirring and cooking till it starts to leave sides of the pan and ghee will ooze out. That time halwa is ready, turn off the gas heat.